Substance Abuse Counseling and Mental Health Care for the entire family

The Medical Social Work department at Family Health Center, Inc. is available to all patients and provides diverse services ranging from mental health referrals, prescription assistance programs, and transportation referral assistance.

Family Health Center provides behavioral health services and substance abuse counseling at our Alcott and Burdick Street locations in Kalamazoo.

Services provided by the Behavioral Health Department include:

  • Case Management
  • Outpatient Counseling
  • Biopsychosocial assessment
  • Mental health or substance abuse counseling
  • Treatment planning
  • Individual or family therapy
  • Addictions Counseling
  • Referral to a psychiatrist
  • Prescription Assistance
  • Psychological Evaluations
  • Discharge planning
  • Referrals to Psychiatry
  • Psychoeducation
  • Planning and coordination with patients
  • Outreach in the homeless community
  • Coordination with community agencies


Call 269-349-2641 and schedule an appointment today!


What is the difference between a psychiatrist and a clinical social worker?

Psychiatrists only write prescriptions for medications; they do not offer talk therapy sessions.   Clinical social workers do not write prescriptions; they offer talk therapy.

Does FHC provide psychiatric evaluations?

No, FHC does not have a psychiatrist on staff.  FHC provides clinical social workers to provide talk therapy; they are not licensed to prescribe medications.  Referrals to community psychiatrists are completed through the therapists in the BH department after a Psychosocial History and Assessment has been completed.

How many therapy sessions are allowed by Medicaid?

All the Medicaid plans offer 20 sessions per calendar year.

Does the Behavioral Health department do ADHD evaluations?

Yes, we have a PhD Psychologist on staff who will conduct an ADHD evaluation for anyone with Medicaid only.  The evaluation is scheduled by one of the FHC therapists after a Psychosocial History and Assessment has been completed.

Who can I contact for help with paying for prescriptions?

The Medical Social Worker conducts an interview to check eligibility criteria for prescription assistance.  Proof of income is required to access this assistance.  Financial assistance for prescriptions is offered one time per calendar year.

Can I be a patient at FHC?

Yes! We provide services for all people in Kalamazoo County who have no health insurance, are covered by Medicaid or Medicare.

If you have no health insurance and you do not qualify for Medicaid, you may qualify for our Sliding Fee Scale. To apply, please bring proof of income and proof of Kalamazoo County residency.

Click to view examples of accepted documentation.

Staff Directory

 First NameLast NameTitleSpecialtyPracticing Site
ElizabethSalvatoreLMSWBehavioral HealthPaterson
JosephSalvatoreLMSWBehavioral HealthPaterson
KristinTabiadonLMSW, CAACBehavioral HealthPaterson
MaryHoekstraLMSWBehavioral HealthPaterson